Saturday, 16 April 2011

Back to the Beginning

I enjoyed the book Slaughterhouse Five. Had I written it, I would have changed the ending and beginning. The way Billy Pilgrim lives is that he sees random moments of his life over and over again. What I thought would be a more fitting ending was to have him come back to the novel's starting point. In order for this to occur,  the novel would also have to begin differently, I would have started the novel  with the end of the world war and then followed with  Vonnegut's original beginning. It is possible because Billy does travel through time. I would envision the novel beginning and ending with the line "Poo-tee-weet?" The reason I think it should loop back like this is so that the readers can get the feel that Billy has to go through his life over and over again. This would also emphasize the idea that if you have to keep on living, you might as well have a good time. To support this change there also would have to be a change in chapter 1 where Vonnegut tells the reader the lines with which his book will begin and end. My preference would be to use that entire excerpt as an introduction rather than a chapter. I think that my changes would really get the audience thinking when they read the novel's last line.

No comments:

Post a Comment