Monday, 18 April 2011

Looking At Gregory's Thoughts

http://wolf1sr.blogspot.com/
WA 8:

Looking at Greg's thoughts on Billy Pilgrim's character I'd have to say I'd agree with him. While Billy plays his role in Slaughterhouse 5 perfectly he would be a really annoying person to know. He touches on how Billy remains completely static throughout the novel, and this is definitely true. Billy Pilgrim has seen his entire life, the highs and lows, the ins and out. He knows how a situation will turn out and is probable capable of thinking of a way to make them all better, but he doesn't. He consciously chooses to allow unpleasantness into his life over and over again without intervening at all. Even though he says you should try and make happy moments in your life he doesn't try to make any more for himself. As a bystander, either knowing or not knowing his thoughts, it would be very annoying just to stand there and watch him do that to himself. He also doesn't seem to care about anyone. He may describe them as beautiful or intelligent but he never really shows any appreciation for them. When he is happy or sad he never actively seeks others to share in his emotion. I completely agree with you, Greg, Billy does seem to have no emotion, no will. As a person he just doesn't seem to exist.


However I do disagree with your "handsomeness" and "superior intellect"

1 comment: